Christine Tunstall
Christine Tunstall
Instructional Specialist
Disabled Student Programs & Services
Office: 9E - 1160
Phone: (909) 274-5649

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Acquired Brain Injury Program

Mt. San Antonio College

Disabled Student Programs & Services



1. What is an acquired brain injury?

The definition used by the California Community Colleges is "a verified deficit in brain functioning which results in total or partial loss of cognitive, communicative, motor, psycho-social, and/or sensory-perceptual abilities." (Title 5)


2. What is Mt San Antonio College's Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) Program?

Staffed by Brain Injury Specialists, currently all Speech-Language Pathologists with backgrounds in medical rehabilitation, the core of the ABI program is individualized, computerized, cognitive retraining in a group setting.  Students attend twice a week, two hours each time, during the campus semester and intersession schedules.  Based upon individual student needs, other services may be integrated into the student's program, including but not limited to: speech-language services, adaptive physical education, enrollment in other credit or non-credit classes, including Basic SKills or English as a Second Language (ESL), and referral to outside support groups or other resources. The Brain Injury Specialists remain involved with the students, assisting in the integration of services and the transition to academic courses.


3. Where is the ABI Program located?

The ABI Program is considered part of the  High Tech Center, which is part of Disabled Student Programs & Services at Mt San Antonio College. The High Tech Center is currently located in 16D, a modular building near the Student Services Building. Under the supervision of faculty, students who are enrolled in credit, academic classes can learn to use assistive technology such as screen readers, word prediction, keyboard access or voice activation. Non-credit students in the ABI program work on cognitive skills such as attention, memory, speed of processing, reasoning, organization and executive functions, and are taught the use of assistive technology as needed. There is also a homework support area for credit students.  The students in the ABI Program are part of an academic, rather than medical or therapeutic setting.


4. Who are the Brain Injury Specialists?

Our Brain Injury Specialists are currently two full-time and one part-time faculty Instructional Specialists: Christine Tunstall, MS CCC-Sp has Masters of Science degrees in Speech-Language Pathology and in Educational Psychology, worked for fifteen years in medical rehabilitation, and has worked at Mt SAC since 1988.  Jill Wilkerson, MS CCC-Sp, CCM has a Masters of Science degree in Speech-Language Pathology, worked for twenty years in medical rehabilitation and case management, and has been at Mt SAC since 2001.  Heather Ponce, MS CCC-Sp has a Masters of Science degree in Speech-Language Pathology, has worked part-time at Mt SAC since 2005, and continues to also work in medical rehabilitation.


5. What determines my eligibility?

You must be at least 18 years of age with medical verification of your injury, and the injury must have occurred after the age of 12. All public school support services should be completed. You must be able to function independently within the college setting: getting to and from our campus, building and associated buildings in a timely manner, managing your personal needs, communicating and interacting appropriately with others.  You should have any seizures under reasonable medical control, be free of blatant psychoses and/or behavioral problems that might interfere with the instructional program, and be free of dependency on non-prescription drugs.  You, not others involved in your case, should be interested in and capable of participating in both the planning and achieving of your program goals, and able to abide by all campus rules and regulations.  In addition, our Brain Injury Specialists must determine that you have the potential to begin or resume college level classes, return to work, or begin a vocational rehabilitation program within one academic year.


6. How much does it cost?

Registration in the program is free.  If you have a DMV parking placard, then parking is free; otherwise parking per semester is about $40.00.  There are also parking meters, and single day parking passes can be purchased.  Once enrolled in the program, students need to bring a photo ID in order to get a student identification card, purchased through our Bursar's office for $10.00.


7. How do I start?

E-mail Jill Wilkerson ( or Christine Tunstall ( to schedule an intake appointment. Alternatively, you can call Disabled Student Programs & Services at (909)274-4290 and specifically request an ABI Intake appointment with either Jill or Christine. You do not need to make an application to the college or have a student ID number. Bring medical verification of your injury, and any other records you feel may help us make a determination of your needs.  If eligible, you may begin the program any time prior to two weeks before the end of each semester. 

8. What if I want to begin with Speech/Language services?

    E-mail Christopher Walker, PhD ( or call Disabled Student Programs & Services at (909)274-4290 and specifically request a Speech/Language services appointment with Dr. Christopher Walker.




Last Updated: 6/3/19
OU Login